Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Power of Postive Emailing

Have you ever received an email or phone message that left you scratching your head? Was the person on the other end rude, funny or what the heck did they mean? Especially, when you suspect the emailer to be rude but they add the words "Just kidding" on the end. Or something like that and all the alarms are going off in your head shouting "Warning, Warning!" What do you do? Do you fire back something snotty, rude or smart alecky?

As we all know, once it's in electronic form and sent, it can't be taken back. I might be a sensitive person. When I get these electronic "love letters", I've stood up from the computer, walked away from the email and came back later. I've sometimes drafted my heated response and then deleted before sending.

I recently learned the power of positive emailing. I was the recipient of such an email that I wasn't sure of the intention. I admit I warred with myself. I literally phoned a friend (remember the show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire") and asked should I fire off a zinger or a snappy, witty comeback?

Since I couldn't read the thoughts of the person on the other end of the email, what was the best thing to do? My good friend reminded me that I was in control of my message and I needed to put out a positive one. She was right, more than right. It was all up to me. It's about my message of abundance, love, giving, caring, family, friends, positivity, integrity.

In the end, it's not only about what is said but what you do. What is your positive, personal message?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Philanthropist

My photo
Getting the word out about people, nonprofits and events changing lives through social media.

http://vimeo.com/9030605