Thursday, June 16, 2011

Loans that Change Lives


Living in the U.S., I think sometimes I get wrapped up in my day to day routine and forget what's going in other places. So browsing through the Kiva's website brought back to me, "Hey, I'm a citizen on planet earth and there is more going on out there". Browsing through all the Kiva loans made me realize that there are people out there that want to make their lives and the lives of their families better. It was so great to see all the entrepreneurs and their stories. I've gone to Wikipedia so many times to look up a city from a loan to see where it's at.

The more I learned about microfinancing the more I learned that women are more likely to pay back their loans.My first loan was to Irina in Moldova who owned a butcher shop somethings came up with the loan and it was refunded. Then I loaned $25 to Adijat in Nigeria who has her own beauty salon. She has been paying Kiva back regularly. I get an email that I am getting credit in my Kiva account so I get the itch to loan more. Then I loaned $25 to Basma in Palestine to help pay towards her eye surgery. She has been paying Kiva back as well. Today, I just loaned Naddezhda, who is a cafe owner in the Ukraine. I love Russian food and the photo of her cafe in the snow. It's great knowing that I'm changing lives one loan at a time.

But what else can I do? That's the million dollar question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Philanthropist

My photo
Getting the word out about people, nonprofits and events changing lives through social media.

http://vimeo.com/9030605