Monday, February 8, 2010

Translating One Loan at a Time

I've loaned to aspiring entrepreneurs on Kiva, now what else can I do? After researching on Kiva on how I could help, I found out they needed loans translated. Hey, I'm married to someone that speaks another language and I'm a person trying to speak that language. Sounds easy?

I should say my husband and I are translating loans from Russian to English. He is the native speaker while I am not. It's an exercise for me as I know he can translate it in ten seconds flat. It's something I have to work on and look at my Russian dictionary to find the best word. He is patient with me as I look for the right word and sometimes I just have to look to him and say what does that mean?

Translating for Kiva has given us a window into trade, commerce and business in areas like Tajikistan, Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan. Cities like Dushanbe, I have to go to Wikipedia to read more about. People who are like us with families, homes, cars, lives trying to make their way. A few days ago, we translated a loan for four people who had formed a group for various businesses. I had to learn what a
Kyrgyzstan Som is. It's their currency and 3,000 Som is equal to $68. That is someones salary they are working hard for in Kyrgyzstan. In the U.S. can we even imagine living on $68? My husband and I can go out to eat and spend that much in one evening. Their group was asking for a loan of $475.

Translating for Kiva is more than just words on a page, it allows others to see into someone else's life. The chance to loan someone for as little as $25. Every little bit will add up to that $475 and ever loan we translate helps someone else get a little closer to their dream.

1 comment:

  1. Doing the translating work is a really cool, generous thing to do. And it sounds like it benefits you as well giving you a better understanding of Russian. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Social Philanthropist

My photo
Getting the word out about people, nonprofits and events changing lives through social media.

http://vimeo.com/9030605